What is Face Yoga?
Anti-Aging Benefits of Yoga
Practicing yoga offers a simple way to beat the effects of aging, including:
Yoga offers amazing benefits for your entire body, including your face. While most poses benefit your face indirectly, face yoga concentrates solely on the face and neck to decrease fine lines, wrinkles and sagging. The poses are easy to learn and can be done just about anywhere.
How Face Yoga Helps You Look Younger
Wrinkles occur due to a loss of collagen, the connective tissue that keeps the skin supple, and sagging muscles. When your muscles begin to sag, the skin on top of them does not receive the support it needs to stay smooth, and wrinkles and fine lines begin to form. Face yoga tightens and tones the muscles in your face, reducing wrinkles. Performing face yoga also may help stimulate the production of collagen and increase circulation to your face. When circulation improves, your face receives more oxygen and nourishment from your blood.
Try These Face Yoga Poses
You may look a little funny when you perform these poses, but you won't mind when you begin to see the changes in your face. Make these six poses part of your daily routine:
- Tongue Pose. Stick your tongue out as far as you can and hold it for 60 seconds. The tongue pose help strengthens the muscles around your mouth.
- Lion Face. Make fists with your hands and squeeze your facial muscles while you inhale. Hold the breath for as long as you can, then exhale, open your hands, roll your eyes toward the ceiling and stick out your tongue. The pose tightens the muscles in your neck and lower face.
- The V. As you age, your upper eyelids begin to droop, giving your eyes a hooded appearance. The V pose helps open up your eyes and also reduces puffiness, bags and crow's feet. Start the pose by forming a "V" shape with the index and middle fingers of each hand. Place your index fingers at the outer corner of your eyes and your middle fingers on the inside corners of your eyes. Apply gentle pressure on these areas as you look upward without moving your head. Squint by lifting your lower eyelids. Make sure that you only use your lower lids, not your upper lids, when you squint.
- The Baby Bird. Place your hands at the bottom of your neck near your collarbone. Press down on the skin as you tilt your jaw toward the ceiling. Lift your tongue to the roof of your mouth and swallow. This pose helps tighten your neck and prevent sagging.
- Surprise Pose. The surprise pose strengthens your forehead muscles, reducing the horizontal furrows that make you look older. Open your eyes as wide as you can without wrinkling your forehead. Hold the pose for five to 10 seconds.
- The Horn Blower. Performing the horn blower is an excellent way to make smile lines less noticeable. Begin by inhaling deeply. Hold the breath and puff out your left cheek, then your right cheek. Continue to shift the air back and forth until you can no longer hold the breath. Exhale slowly.
Are you interested in learning more about the benefits of yoga? Call us today and learn which class is the best choice for you.
Yoga.com: How Face Yoga Exercises Are Done
Time: Facial Yoga
Marie Clare: Facial Exercises, 04/09/15
Glamour: How Facial Yoga Can Help You Fight Off Wrinkles, 03/21/16
MindBodyGreen: 5 Anti-Aging Benefits of Yoga
Yoga Journal: 21 Health Benefits of Yoga, 07/31/13